Hello, all! I haven’t done a review in a very long time, and there’s a good reason for that: I don’t have anything to review. Black Friday took its toll on my bank account, and right now I’m waiting for the things that I ordered to arrive. They should start coming this week, so I’ll be reviewing them as they come in.
In the meantime, I’ve decided to share something I made over the course of the last two days that I’m excited about.
ICE BLUE LACE AND NUDE MESH SET
If you follow me on Instagram, then you probably saw this set get posted yesterday:
It’s a set that I’ve had in my head for a while, but I couldn’t decide on fabrics or colors– so, I went to my favorite fabric store in Hamilton, Ontario (Anne’s Fabrics) and bought about 30 different laces in various lengths and widths, and a few of them really stood out to me– this particular one being a beautiful ice blue floral lace.
Inspired by the Pantone colors of the year, Rose Quartz (a soft blush) and Serenity (a pale blue blue), I grabbed the blue and searched through my collection for anything light pink. I found another lace that was a soft nude/pink, but lace on lace has never been my favorite style.
Instead I decided to use my nude mesh that I bought while I was in Montreal this past summer. I reasoned that it was close enough and gave a nice contrast to the blue lace.
I chose to double-layer the mesh, partly because of modesty and partly to give the blue color more of a solid background to contrast against. The pattern is self-drafted, and this was my VERY first time making it. I have to say, I’m incredibly pleased with how it turned out– it’s beautiful and super comfortable!
I’m about to get sewing-nerdy on you, so I apologize: This bra was originally supposed to be a standard triangle bra, with the elastic band tucked under the bra and just the picot edge peeking out. However, I forgot to account for the fact that the nude elastic I’d be using was wider than my usual 1/2″ elastic, so I cut the bra out as I normally would and sewed on the elastic to the front part of the bra, ready to tuck under and topstitch. But that’s what I noticed that if I tucked the elastic under, the bra would be wildly too small, so instead I shrugged and decided to leave the thick band visible– and I think it looks pretty nice!
The bikini is a self-drafted pattern, and is actually one of my woven panty patterns (woven panties are made with woven fabrics– i.e. non-stretch cotton, chiffon, etc so you need to cut them a bit bigger to account for the lack of stretch). I just sized down from a S to an XS account for the stretch of the mesh. I decided to put two bows on each side of the lace to shake things up (wild, I know) and the set was finished.
I’m super happy with this set, and I think I’ll be using this pattern quite a bit more from now on. I really like the fact that I varied from my usual cotton knits and wovens, as I was getting a bit tired of them. Let me know what you think of the set down below!